TO BE CONSIDERED, PLEASE APPLY ONLINE AT: https://recruiting.adp.com/srccar/public/RTI.home?c=2168707&d=SempraSDGE&r=5000761003206#/
SDG&E is an innovative San Diego-based energy company that provides clean, safe and reliable energy to better the lives of the people it serves in San Diego and southern Orange counties. The company is committed to creating a sustainable future by providing its electricity from renewable sources; modernizing natural gas pipelines; accelerating the adoption of electric vehicles; supporting numerous non-profit partners; and, investing in innovative technologies to ensure the reliable operation of the region’s infrastructure for generations to come. SDG&E is a subsidiary of Sempra Energy (NYSE: SRE).
Our highly trained and responsive employees with their diverse skills, talents and ideas are the reason we can deliver on our commitment and are building America’s best energy company. They are also the reason why we have been recognized with the industry’s most coveted awards. Our employees undertake challenging work, and receive highly competitive compensation and benefits. As one of the region’s largest employers, we’re always searching for talented and bright people to join our team. After all, it takes the best to build the best. Learn more about benefits HERE.
Diversity and inclusion are core values of SDG&E. Empowering our employees to be their whole selves at work is our competitive advantage. This is where new ideas come from and meaningful collaboration gets an authentic start. By bringing together people with different perspectives, diverse backgrounds and real commitment to their own individuality, we have built a stronger business. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion HERE.
The Senior Software Engineer - GIS (Geographic Information Systems) is a hands-on technical role responsible for the design, development, delivery, and maintenance of technology applications and systems within enterprise GIS. Works within a team developing front-end or back-end features and functionality, such as systems, interfaces, databases, business intelligence systems, or other applications or systems that deliver business value. Works on more complex products, such as those with dependencies on systems or applications owned by other teams, to solve challenging and unique technical problems pertaining to enterprise GIS.
As an experienced member of software development teams, shares knowledge and provides mentorship to other software engineers. Demonstrates a strong ability to collaborate to develop and upgrade enterprise GIS.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Designs, develops, and maintains code in accordance with business acceptance criteria. Works closely on testing efforts to routinely identify automation opportunities and to ensure deliverables meet user story (i.e., Unit of work that is delivered within a sprint - typically captured with a specific format including "acceptance criteria" that act as requirements to note when the story can be accepted as done) acceptance criteria. Provides technical input into the translation of business and functional requirements into documented technical specifications for reference or reporting. Provides insights, technical skills, and expertise of GIS and 3rd party applications.
- Delivers end-to-end maintenance and support of all products and features related to enterprise Geographic Information Systems owned by their product team, performing triage and responding to incidents as needed. Drives the adoption of strategies for continuous integration / continuous delivery within their team.
- Prepares for and participates in reviews, walkthroughs, and/or demos of integrated GIS technical specifications and program code with other members of the technical team, communicating design, acceptance criteria, feature set, functionality and limitations of applications to customer. Serves as a thought leader for further innovation and strategic opportunities.
- Works in alignment with agile mindset and values, working off user stories within an agile scrum team. Provides technical input and GIS expertise into sprint planning, breaking down user stories and creating estimates, and planning to deliver within the sprint. Understands team dependencies and delivery impediments to proactively partner with other teams for effective delivery of GIS and related applications. Anticipates potential challenges that exist within the team's area of ownership. Participates in team's agile ceremonies, utilizing the five ceremonies (i.e., daily stand up, sprint planning, backlog refinement, demos, and retrospectives) involved in Scrum methodology to self-organize within their team and collaboratively drive development and the delivery of business value.
- Performs other duties as assigned (no more than 5% of duties).
- Bachelor's Degree in Information Systems, Software Engineering, Computer Science, related field or equivalent training and/or experience.
- 5 years progressive experience working in software engineering, delivering IT solutions across multiple products, systems, and/or platforms coupled with strong business acumen.
- 3 years experience working with Geographic Information Systems (GIS).
- Software Delivery Frameworks – Strong knowledge of delivery frameworks such as Agile Scrum, Kanban, and/or Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC); proven ability executing projects in a collaborative, fast-paced environment.
- Application Development - Strong ability to develop applications, including developing on one operating system or designing complex multi-tiered applications.
- Technology Trends - Demonstrates a strong understanding of emerging trends in the technology landscape, including new technologies, processes, and ways of working; able to determine the impact of technological advancement on the company's systems, applications, infrastructure, and practices.
- Geographic Information Systems – Strong understanding of Geographic Information Systems application development, object-oriented programming methodologies, and concepts such as special projections, geometric networks, density analytics, etc.
- Automation and Security Practices - Knowledge of Automation and Security Concepts (e.g., test automation, code coverage, DevSecOps, CI/CD pipelines, etc.).
- Understanding of Esri application suite – ArcGIS Pro, Desktop, ArcGIS Enterprise, ArcSDE, and ArcGIS Runtime.
- Geographic Information Systems experience in the energy or utilities sector.
- 2 years experience working with DevSecOps practices, integrating development, security, and operations into enterprise software development, e.g., Continuous Integrations / Continuous Delivery (CI/CD) pipelines, test automation, etc.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.