GIS Technician - Iowa
Our client is the nation's leading provider of public safety location intelligence. They combine high quality locally authoritative maps with verified, curated additional supportive map data and live location content into a single, consolidated service that can feed into any public safety mapping application to ensure the right data is provided to Emergency 9-1-1 call centers and emergency responder applications at the right time.
The GIS Technician is an ideal opportunity for a recent or soon to be college graduate, or for a college student seeking an internship opportunity. A GIS Technician is primarily responsible for collecting indoors GIS/GPS data in the field, post-processing the collected data, and developing public safety grade GIS data for use in 911 mapping systems. As fieldwork is a key component of the GIS Technician I position, customer service and professionalism are paramount. GIS Technicians work closely with team members to deliver GIS data and GIS services to our public safety clients across the United States, with a strong emphasis on teamwork, customer commitment, sense of urgency, and continuous improvement and innovation. Travel as required, up to 60% of the time for this position. Position requires a valid driver’s license.
After completion of a major project in the State of Iowa, this position will transition to a remote GIS role, supporting projects throughout the country.
Essential Job Duties:
1. Collects and verifies map data for use within public safety GIS solutions
a. Travel to customer sites to collect field GIS data using applications and devices such as LiDAR enabled iPhones, iPads, Survey123 for ArcGIS, Field Maps for ArcGIS, etc.
b. Travel to customer sites to verify GIS data layers and building schematics through visual confirmation.
c. Monitors overall schedule for field work and map data deliverables and reports needed changes to GIS Manager, Project Manager, GIS project team lead.
d. Communicates with clients to determine what the company needs to change on the floorplans (i.e. new, delete or change) as part of ongoing support.
2. Develops and updates map data for use within public safety GIS solutions
a. Completes post-processing of GIS data collected in the field including editing GIS data layers using Esri based GIS applications such as ArcGIS Pro.
b. Works with building floorplans/schematics in various formats (.PDF, .JPEG, .DWG) for GIS data conversion for the development of public safety grade indoor maps.
Essential Universal Job Duties:
1. Consistently meets and exceeds team Key Performance Indicators (KPI) around project delivery, quality, budget and customer satisfaction.
2. Accountable to resolving scheduling and project issues in a timely manner; promptly involving the GIS Project Manager or GIS Manager when necessary.
3. Ability to monitor and report on progress toward completing field work objectives and milestones for assigned projects.
4. Maintains a working knowledge of all software required to complete job duties (e.g., software applications, Microsoft Office, etc.).
Universal Job Duties:
- Improves self in any way possible to enhance job performance.
- Promotes the Company, its Mission, Core Values, programs, and achievements to the public and its employees.
- Core Values:
- Customer Commitment
- Continuous Improvement and Innovation
- Sense of Urgency
- Empowered Accountability
- Functions as a team member by assisting, supporting, and encouraging other employees in any way possible.
- Performs related work as required, willingly, and eagerly.
- Meets deadlines as required.
- Regular, predictable attendance is an essential function of this position.
- Maintains a neat and organized work area, representing the company in the public eye in a professional manner.
Minimum Job Requirements:
Education: 2-year degree and/or Certificate in GIS or equivalent GIS experience
Preferred Job Requirements:
Education: Bachelor’s degree in GIS and/or other four-year degree with GIS minor
Experience: Some GIS and/or fieldwork experience
- Effective and dependable communication skills.
- Proficiency using and/or willingness to learn apps for field data collection/verification.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to work both independently and with others to accomplish assigned responsibilities.
- Valid Driver’s license.
- Ability to walk for extended periods of time while using handheld devices.
- Ability to bend, kneel, stoop, and lift up to ten pounds.